Monday, June 28, 2010

Learning with maps

We are learning all about maps before we set off on our adventures of the world. We are using a combination of Sonlight and My Father’s World curriculum and the kids are excited. They really enjoy school when it is hands on.

Today we learned about “birds’ eye view” maps. The kids then measured their rooms (using their feet) and drew maps to scale. They did a great job and had a lot of fun. Griffin wanted his map bigger so he doubled all of his measurements. (Great math lesson with the geography).

We talked about how if each of them drew the same map, the sizes wouldn’t be the same because of the difference in their feet. This led to a discussion about how a map can be inaccurate if the measuring device is off.

102_5846

We also looked at the kids maps that I got at a local Marathon station for free. They are giving them away right now. If you live near one head on over and get some. They are made by Rand McNally and have games and things on the back. We looked up capitals and found the states. The kids also found the 5 great Lakes and I taught them how to remember them by using H.O.M.E.S.

Here are their maps.

102_5841

102_5843

The flower is the magnet that is holding the map on the fridge. We’re not sure what we did wrong but the dimensions are off. They really have almost no room between their stuff because the rooms are small. We are going to do this again this week and try to get everything more accurate.

The kids are now writing letters to their pen pals. Griffin decided he is going to draw a map of our town to send to his. Today has really sparked the kids interest in maps and geography.

Happy Homeschooling.

No comments:

Disclosure

I would like to let you know that this blog contains reviews done by me in exchange for products from certain companies. I have not received any other compensation for the honest reviews that I post. I will never promise a favorable review. If I don't like the product, I will honestly tell you why.

I would like to disclose the following existing relationships with affiliates: CurrClick, AdSense. I am an affiliate with the aforementioned companies and may receive compensation if a reader clicks through a link on my blog and makes a purchase.

If you have any questions about this, please e-mail me at loriboling@gmail.com.,\