Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Easy Sandwich Bread recipe

We had a great Thanksgiving.  Did you? 

Went to David’s family early in the day.  The kids really enjoy going there to visit with their papaw.  He is funny and so good with the kids.

Then we came home and I cooked again for my families get together.   We also had time to watch a Christmas movie that we had started.  It was The Golden Christmas.  We loved it.  You can watch it on Netflix.

So, I had been looking for a really easy bread recipe that doesn’t use the bread machine.  Long story short, I hate my new bread machine.  I’m thinking about asking my Mom for hers back but I have to get my nerve up.  ;)

I found a recipe and tweaked it a little bit and it is now our favorite.  When you slice this with the electric knife, it is just like bread you buy in the store.  Only better and better for you.

Ingredients:

3 cups flour (we use unbleached flour I got from the Amish)

1 1/4 tsp salt

3 TBS sugar

4 TBS melted butter (we don’t use margarine but I think it works)

1/2 – 2/3 cup milk (I use raw milk)

1/2 cup water

2 tsp yeast

First, I heat the water in the microwave for about 1 minute.  This makes it pretty hot.  Then add the milk into the water along with 1 TBS of the sugar and the 2tsp of yeast.  I let this sit while I mix the rest of the ingredients together.  This gives the yeast time to bubble.

In a small bowl, mix the flour, remaining 2 TBSP of sugar, and salt.  I melt the butter in the microwave and then add it to my Kitchenaide bowl. 

Now for my favorite part of the recipe, I let the Kitchenaide do all of the kneading (work). 

Add the liquid mixture (milk, water, sugar and yeast) to the melted butter in the bowl.   Then slowly add the flour.  Use the dough hook for this.  You will need to watch the dough.  It it is too dry, add just a drop of water or milk at a time (about 1/4 tsp).  You want the dough to have a smear on the bottom of the mixing bowl while it is mixing.  If it climbs the dough hook and nothing is in the bowl, it is too dry.  If it is really wet and a lot is on the sides or bottom of the bowl, it is too wet (add a pinch of flour at a time until it gets to the right consistency).

Mix for 8 minutes.

Spray a plastic or glass bowl with oil (I use Olive oil).  Put the dough in this bowl and cover loosely.  Sit in a warm place.  The warmer it is, the quicker your bread will rise.  When I sit mine by the pellet stove, it only takes about 45 minutes to be ready for the next step.  You want the dough to rise a good bit but not necessarily double.

Spray a loaf pan.  Take the dough out of the bowl and put on a flat surface sprinkled with flour.  Knead the bread about 4-6 times.  Shape into a loaf and put in pan.

Let rise, covered loosely, again for approximately 45 minutes.  Turn the oven to 350 degrees.   Bake for about 28-35 minutes.  When you turn the loaf over onto a cooling rack, it should sound hard on the bottom when you tap it.   I’ve had it not be done enough.  When we eat it right away, no one cares.  But, if I let it cool, they won’t eat it if it isn’t done enough. 

Sorry, I can’t find the picture of the bread I made.  I will take one the next time I make this and add it.  I usually bake this 4 times a week.  

No comments:

Disclosure

I would like to let you know that this blog contains reviews done by me in exchange for products from certain companies. I have not received any other compensation for the honest reviews that I post. I will never promise a favorable review. If I don't like the product, I will honestly tell you why.

I would like to disclose the following existing relationships with affiliates: CurrClick, AdSense. I am an affiliate with the aforementioned companies and may receive compensation if a reader clicks through a link on my blog and makes a purchase.

If you have any questions about this, please e-mail me at loriboling@gmail.com.,\