Thursday, June 27, 2013

Classical Historian–Mosaic Review

History was never my favorite subject in school.  I hated trying to remember all of those dates and names. 

B.O.R.I.N.G.

I wanted to make sure that my kids don’t feel the same way.  So we have never learned history the “normal” way.  In turn, they love it.  And I have learned to love it also.

So, I was pretty excited to get the Classical Historian to review.   We got several items to try..  Some we liked, others not so much.

First there was the Ancient History Go Fish Game.   You get four different ways to play.  There is no age limit so it’s great for the entire family.  We love games that everyone can play.   These are very well made and easy to read.  They seem like they will last a long time.  My kids liked reading them, although they didn’t really enjoy playing the games.   It doesn’t make any difference to me how they learn, just that they do.   You can order these for only $11.95.  Pretty decent price for a very well made game.

We also received the Modern American History Course.  This came with lots of goodies.  It uses a 5 step way of teaching. 

Here’s what I received:

The Socratic Discussion in History (textbook)

Take A Stand Modern American History (this is a reading/writing/and discussion book)

Teachers Guide

DVD set

(There is also a reading book which I did not receive but it is included when you purchase.

As stated in the title,  this uses the Classical Approach.  Our family has never been fond of this because of the Latin part.  These books seem very easy to use.  I am going to definitely use the essay questions that are included.  We have really not been very good about this yet but with Griffin starting high school, I know it is important.

I love the DVD’s that teach for me.   I always have people say, “How will you teach your kids the stuff you don’t know”.  I want to reply, “Hello, DVD’s.”.  Smile

I do think the DVD set at $179.99 is pretty expensive.  You do get all of the items.   If you use the classical education type it is probably not that bad.  I have paid more for curriculum so it is just if it is in your budget.   Lessons are short and easy to follow.  

There are two other options including Ancient and American history for grades 6-8 and Modern World and Government.  The other reviewers received these and you can read their reviews on the site.

Our family gives Classial Historian (Only due to the price)
image image imageimage
Smiley guide
image
1 Smiley - Product not really for our family. Probably wouldn’t buy. This really should probably be a frown face but we hate to be negative.
image image
2 Smileys - Would maybe buy this product if on sale. Not a great fit for our family.
image image image
3 Smileys - We really liked this product and would probably recommend this to friends and fellow homeschoolers.
image image image image
4 – Smileys – Definitely would buy this if the budget would allow. We suggest you check this out to see if it is a fit for your family.
image image image image image
5 Smileys – Would sell the family pets to get this one (just kidding). A must have for our family and we think you should get it too.
Thank you to  Classical Historian  and Mosaics Review for the opportunity to try this product. 
                                                                            529707_537063872991803_1913200361_n_

 

 

D

No comments:

Disclosure

I would like to let you know that this blog contains reviews done by me in exchange for products from certain companies. I have not received any other compensation for the honest reviews that I post. I will never promise a favorable review. If I don't like the product, I will honestly tell you why.

I would like to disclose the following existing relationships with affiliates: CurrClick, AdSense. I am an affiliate with the aforementioned companies and may receive compensation if a reader clicks through a link on my blog and makes a purchase.

If you have any questions about this, please e-mail me at loriboling@gmail.com.,\