Sunday, July 26, 2009

Pek-a-Pom puppies

We have had an 100_3577exciting week.  Our dog, Jewel, went into labor on Wednesday this past week.  At about 4:30 she started having contractions and at 9:00 she had her first puppy.  It didn’t make it.  She then tried for about 4 1/2 hours to deliver the next one.  It’s shoulder was stuck in the birth canal.  I took her to the 24 hour Vet which is over an hour away.   The vet there told me that there were three more puppies.  One was stuck in the birth canal and the other two had very little chance of being alive.  She proceeded to tell me that it would cost $2000.00 for her to have a c-section at their clinic.  I love our dog, but I really could not justify that much money.  She told me I could wait until 8:00 when our vet opened and that Jewel would be okay even if we waited the four hours until then.  I really hated to do that but that really was my only option.  So, I left after paying $240.00 for the x-ray and visit. Needless to say, I didn’t get any sleep.   At 8:00, I took her to Georgetown to our regular vet.  They examined her and told me that the other two puppies had died and they would do a c-section.  At this hospital it would be around $300.00.   Even though David still didn’t want to have to pay this much, we really had no other options.     They told me they would call as soon as Jewel was out of surgery and let me know how she was doing.  They said that it was very risky because she had been in labor for over 12 hours at this point.  I came home and told the kids that the puppies were not going to make it and dealt with that.  They took it pretty well since I told them I was pretty sure Jewel was going to be okay.  (I was praying for that)   At 1:30, the vet finally called and told me that Jewel had came through perfectly and was doing great.  She told me the puppy that had been caught in the birth canal had died.   BUT, the other two puppies were doing great.  HUH?  Two vets had told us they had died.  We were so happy and excited.  God really answered my children’s prayers.  My sister told me we should name them Lazarus and Jesus since they had came back from the dead :) 

So now we have two new puppies and can’t think of names for them.  We’re debating on Milo (that’s Bellas choice) and Griffin likes Drover (after Hank the Cowdog’s sidekick).  The names are changing daily though. 

100_3574

Day 1 of their lives!

100_3595

This one is when they are five days old.  This one is thinking outside the box.   We are sure hoping they get cuter.  They look like sea otters right now.  It is definitely true that puppies sleep almost all of the time.  Jewel is being a wonderful mommy and they are getting fatter every day.  They are pretty big for her to be so small.  Their Daddy is my brother’s Pomeranian and he is pretty small too.  Not sure how they got so big?   I’ll show you more pictures later.   

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think that they are adorable!!! Thanks for sharing the pics. Hope they continute to do well.

Loving learning at Home said...

Thanks. We think we have chosen the names Ashton and Cooper. That's just for today probably. :)

Unknown said...

*Squealing!!!* Oh, what cute little sweethearts!!!! Congratulations once again. :) Thank you so much for sharing these precious photos with your adoring audience. ;) I can't wait to see how much they change as time goes on....

Debbie said...

Congratulations to Jewel. What a birth story.

Disclosure

I would like to let you know that this blog contains reviews done by me in exchange for products from certain companies. I have not received any other compensation for the honest reviews that I post. I will never promise a favorable review. If I don't like the product, I will honestly tell you why.

I would like to disclose the following existing relationships with affiliates: CurrClick, AdSense. I am an affiliate with the aforementioned companies and may receive compensation if a reader clicks through a link on my blog and makes a purchase.

If you have any questions about this, please e-mail me at loriboling@gmail.com.,\