Thursday, September 24, 2009

Nature Walks and Art




As a part of our homeschooling curriculum this year we have started doing nature walks. They are so much fun and my kids really enjoy them. We usually do not have an agenda. We just go out to the yard and see what God has given us to enjoy. We try to do this at least once a week. The pictures above are from a field trip we went on where they explored a large creek near us. We have a very large woods on our property but I have to admit I'm kind of scared to venture out into it. I have a tiny (okay not so tiny) fear of just about everything in the woods; bugs, spiders, snakes, and even deer. I'm afraid we'll scare the deer and they will run over one of us. I know that is extreme and that really doesn't keep me from going out but I tend to over think these kind of things. My husband, on the other hand, is always taking the kids to the creek and playing in the woods.

We love to make art projects out of things we find outside. We have done a lot of collages from leaves and flowers. We take pictures of our projects or copy them on the color copy to preserve them. The kids always get upset when we have to throw the stuff away but it's hard to keep them looking nice. For the last 5 weeks we have been doing an art class online that is offered through Currclick. It is taught by a really sweet lady named Mrs. Angie and my kids have loved it. There will be a new class starting in October and I highly recommend it. It is a very affordable way to include art in your day. I know, for our family, that is one of the things we tend to leave until later. But, my kids really enjoy art so I am trying to incorporate it more often. These pictures are two of the projects that the kids made in their live art class. The leaf bowl was made using air dry clay and imprinting a leaf onto it. The picture was a collage using leaves and flowers and incorporating them into a picture. I think Bella did a great job showing herself walking a dog.

Homeschooling offers our family so many great opportunities to spend time together and enjoy what God has given us. Take time to enjoy nature with your family and make wonderful memories that will last a lifetime.

3 comments:

Joy @ Five J's said...

My kids love the outdoors. We haven't done many "structured" nature walks, but whenever we do go outside, they're always finding interesting things! Love the art your kids did.

6intow said...

Love the leaf art! I can totally relate to your fear of entering the woods. Strangely enough I'm fine with snakes, but deer, raccoons, and coyotes really freak me out.
~Erin

Debbie said...

Great art ideas. We'll have to try the leaf picture soon. Imagine what you could create when the leaves become colorful.

Disclosure

I would like to let you know that this blog contains reviews done by me in exchange for products from certain companies. I have not received any other compensation for the honest reviews that I post. I will never promise a favorable review. If I don't like the product, I will honestly tell you why.

I would like to disclose the following existing relationships with affiliates: CurrClick, AdSense. I am an affiliate with the aforementioned companies and may receive compensation if a reader clicks through a link on my blog and makes a purchase.

If you have any questions about this, please e-mail me at loriboling@gmail.com.,\