AVKO is a non-profit, 501(C)3 membership organization that focuses on the development and production of materials and especially techniques to teach reading and spelling, handwriting (manuscript and cursive), and keyboarding. AVKO is dedicated to teaching everyone how to read and spell, regardless of their mild to moderate learning disabilities, dyslexia, poverty, or opportunity.
As part of the TOS crew I received a year membership to AVKO. We have been using Sequential Spelling which is by the same company for a few months now and the website is a great added resource for this curriculum.
Here are some of the benefits of purchasing the membership
• Discounts on AVKO printed materials
• FREE e-books in PDF form (over $400.00 worth)
* The Patterns of English Spelling (All 10 Volumes) with Word Families in Sentence Context
* To Teach a Dyslexic
* Starting at Square One
* The Teaching of Reading & Spelling: a Continuum from Kindergarten through College
* The Reading Teacher's List of Over 5,500 Basic Spelling Words
• Access to the Member Only section
• AVKO Newsletter that has freebies, discounts, resources, and promotions
• Access to Don McCabe's workshop recordings (these are in MP3 format.
• Supplemental Curriculum Materials
• Ability to download Pretests and Placement Tests
You can read the full list of membership benefits here.
AVKO also offers tons of freebies for anyone visiting their website. My favorites are the offers for homeschoolers and the teaching aides. If you have a child that you feel might have dyslexia they also have free resources to help with this.
I think the basic membership fee of $25.00 is very reasonable. One of the great benefits is that you get 25% off all printed AVKO material. You can also get a Deluxe Membership for $100 which includes access to Read-only access to ALL AVKO curriculum materials (except for Sequential Spelling and Engaging Language Kits).
*** Please note that I was given this free membership in exchange for my honest opinion in this review. No other compensation was provided. **