Saturday, October 23, 2010

It is well with my soul

This last week has had to be one of the worse I have had in years. In the midst of all that is going wrong, though, I am reminded through Horatio Spafford’s song, that I am blessed beyond measure.

Last Friday, our dog, Jewel, was hit by a car. We live in the country and our nearest neighbor is 1/4 of a mile away. The person who hit her didn’t stop so she was outside for about 45 minutes after she was hit. It isn’t like they didn’t know who owned the dog, she got hit right in front of our mail box. Thankfully, her leg was the only thing that was injured. Unfortunately, it was hurt very bad. David took her to the ER vet because she was bleeding pretty bad. After them telling us it would be $1800 to keep her all night under observation, he decided we would bring her home and take her to our vet on Saturday morning. We ended up having to leave her at the vet’s for the weekend. On Monday, they called and after much debating they decided her leg would be amputated. I was going to put a picture but I thought that would be pretty gross. Now, I am one of the those people who have always said, I would never pay hundreds of dollars to fix a pet. Oh, have I eaten those words for this dog. Last year she had to have an emergency C-section to have her puppies. You can read about that here. So, after 4 days at the vet and a surgery to amputate her leg, Jewel is now home. She is doing well. We are supposed to not let her go up steps or run. She didn’t get that message evidently because we can’t keep her off of the steps. She loves to lay on them. She also has ran into the woods to fight with the cats. She has adapted well to only having 3 legs. The vet visits totaled over $800.

Next, David was sick and missed two days of work. We are thanking God that the kids didn’t get his virus. I pretty much quarantined him to the family room and followed him around when he got up with a can of Lysol. I missed work Wednesday but was able to go back after only that one missed day.

Our car is leaking Anti-freeze and overheating. This is a vehicle that has been back to the dealer at least 11 times for several different things. It has had a new transmission, fuel pump, thermostat and many more things fixed in the 2 years we have had it. Can you say “LEMON”?

We are taking it back to have it looked at on Monday. We only have 400 miles left on the warranty. I am praying that whatever is wrong is covered under the warranty. If not, our “good” car will be David’s 14 year old Metro.

To top it all off, we have left the church I have attended for over 30 years. David and I were married there, baptized there and recently Griffin was also baptized there. We are going to a wonderful new place but it just doesn’t feel like “home”. It seems like in doing what we feel like God wants us to do, the devil is working hard to discourage us. The reasons for leaving are complicated and long, but basically we feel like it isn’t where God wants us at this point of our lives. We have prayed extensively before coming to this conclusion. It is heartbreaking and every week the kids want to go back to where their friends are.

I pray daily for God to give us the strength to stay the course.

Tonight while David and I were discussing all of the crazy things going on in our lives, I was reminded of a video about Horatio Spafford who wrote the song It is well with my Soul. Compared to his life, ours is problem free. We are so blessed and this video helps me to remember this. I have my children, my husband, our families, a home, food and most importantly, God. It is definitely well with my soul. I am sure if you watch this video, you will be blessed, as I have been.


2 comments:

Debbie said...

Lori,
I'm praying for you and your family! God knew, God knows, and He's walking this path while holding your hand. Your family is well cared for, by Him.

Vanessa R said...

Hi Lori,
I'm a new follower, I actually found your blog from the blogfrog.
Anyway, I'm so sorry to hear about your dog Jewel. I'm glad to hear though, that she's feeling better, even with only 3 legs.
We can sure learn a lot from animals like Jewel, don't you think?
Isn't it amazing, and so encouraging to see how they carry on with their lives, even in the midst of pain and suffering?

May God continue to be with you during these difficult times. Being obedient to him will always pay off. Sometimes we get off track and we follow our feelings. But I can see you are listening to his still voice and following him. It is always sad when one must leave the Church we have gotten so close with. But think about the great opportunities a new Church will bring (along with new people!)

~Vanessa

Disclosure

I would like to let you know that this blog contains reviews done by me in exchange for products from certain companies. I have not received any other compensation for the honest reviews that I post. I will never promise a favorable review. If I don't like the product, I will honestly tell you why.

I would like to disclose the following existing relationships with affiliates: CurrClick, AdSense. I am an affiliate with the aforementioned companies and may receive compensation if a reader clicks through a link on my blog and makes a purchase.

If you have any questions about this, please e-mail me at loriboling@gmail.com.,\